Tuesday, 7 April 2015

wtucker-art.com

Artist's Statement

The pieces are expressed in two layers: the materials that I paint on, and what is painted on this surface. Both of these elements are integral to the work.
The work begins unplanned. Line drawings, markings, painted strokes and scribbles are made with numerous mediums including oil, lumber stick, resin stick, charcoal, graphite and ink. I work on either simple wood panels or choose from a collection of found materials – such as old tabletops, cabinet doors, wood blocks wrapped in canvas, and old book covers.
Recently the work has expanded to installation pieces and books. Installations involve images drawn/painted directly on the gallery walls, which are eventually painted over. The transient nature of the images is part of the work. When working with the books, images are either added to the pages, or pages are removed and new pages are stitched in.
The drawings/markings are created primarily with my non-dominant hand. The use of my left hand allows me to draw in an unpracticed manner – an attempt to capture the purity or innocence of a child’s drawing. I am not conscious while I work of representing a specific story or idea in the pieces. The exact meaning of a piece in many instances eludes me – in the end I am more often struck by an emotional response to what I paint and draw.



wtucker-art.com

No comments:

Post a Comment